Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Homemade Bug Spray

I've been working my way towards a chemical-free lifestyle. What does this mean? It means that I don't use any more conventional cleaning products...things like, comet (this used to be my favorite bathroom cleaner), Clorox wipes (hello, easy toilet cleaning!), or even seventh generation products which seem to be relatively safe. Instead, I use a vinegar/water solution, about a 1:1 ratio. This kills germs, leaves things looking nice and shiny, and this way Charlie is allowed to help too!
I'm also very careful with products that I put on our skin. For the kiddos, I use soap from the farmers market at bath time, and coconut oil for a moisturizer when they need it. 


This summer, the bugs have been horrific. I don't want to send my kids out without bug spray, and definitely don't want to use "regular" bug spray on them. Have you read the ingredients? Interesting enough, they only put 5% of the ingredients on the website...the rest are just labeled as "other ingredients". SO, instead of using something like that on the kids, I decided to make my own. I found this recipe on pinterest, and had Mike make it up (I had to change a few things, because we didn't have epsom salts, and I added another oil.)! I had to reapply it a few times, but haven't had ANY bug bites since using it! If you're needing something great, and safe to use on yourself and kids, try this!

All Natural Bug Spray
8 oz. water
8 drops purification essential oil
8 drops peppermint essential oil
8 drops lavender essential oil (mosquitoes stay away from lavender!)
pinch of baking soda

1. Mix the oils and baking soda together. This will keep the oils from separating from the water.
2. Mix the baking soda mixture with the water.
3. Pour into a spray bottle.
4. Spray!

I hope this works for you as well as it has for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment