Monday, July 14, 2014

Proverbs Bible Study (Week 2)

I have been learning SO much from reading Proverbs these past two weeks. Who knew that wisdom and discernment were so important?! I'm so thankful that God has provided us with His words, and tells us how to live a life that will glorify Him. Here's what I picked up this week:

Proverbs 5

5:1-6 He gives a description of an adultress. She is smooth, good at persuading, and doesn't even realize what she is doing, or that she is sinning.
He also says to keep away from her, or you will regret it later in life.
5:15 Keep to yourself. Do your own work.
You will be blessed.
Always be satisfied with your spouse. Never lust after others.
5:21 God always sees what you are doing. I think that this is a good way to hold yourself accountable.

Proverbs 6
6:1-6 Do not rest until you get out of your sins.
Always acknowledge your sins and ask for forgiveness.
6:6 Hold yourself accountable for your actions.
Be responsible and plan for your future.
6:17-19 A list of things that God hates. The one that sticks out the most to me, is the hands that shed innocent blood. I don't think he necessarily means actual killing, but even picking and choosing who we think is "worthy" to hear about Jesus. The people who haven't heard are the innocent ones, and if we ignore them, we are shedding their innocent blood.
This passage also makes me think that I need to regularly "check" myself. See what is causing me to sin, and to stop immediately, and ask for forgiveness.
6:20-22 I'm noticing that this passage is constantly repeated, which must mean that it's incredible important!
6:27-29 You can't have both. If you choose to commit adultery, you will be punished.
6:33 Once you commit adultery, it will become your identity. You will always be known for it.

Proverbs 7
7:1-5 Another repeat of these words. Memorize them, and live them!
7:7 "The youth who lack judgement", there is no moral code. Without knowledge or discernment, he was easily swayed toward the prostitute, he did not realize that it would cost him his life.
7:27 She leads to death.

Proverbs 8
8:10 "Choose instructions over silver, knowledge over gold." I love this. We are working on becoming minimalists, so that we can truly live this.
8:12 Always have discretion with knowledge, they go hand in hand.
Be humble, hate pride.
8:17 He loves me, because I love Him.

Image from pinterest
8:23 I love this. It speaks of Jesus' great power.
8:30 Be filled with delight always. This is SO difficult for me. I'm one whose attitude is swayed by circumstances.
8:32 Do not ignore His instruction.
8:34 Listen, watch and wait for Him.

I took so much from this week's study. The main point was to love Him, and His instruction more than "things", and to use discretion when in a tough situation.

What did you learn this week?

**Please share in the comments, any questions or insight that you have!**

No comments:

Post a Comment